Make a Habit of ItWould you like to learn how to AUTOMATICALLY implement habitual actions that improve your health, energy, body and mind so that you are more productive at work, have more time and energy for your loved ones ,as well as your hobbies?
Or, how would you like to set up your life so that you don’t get distracted by unimportant things that prevent you from feeling, doing and performing optimally in all areas of your life?
The best way to ensure you execute the actions that transform your life for the better is to make them habitual… That’s obvious, right?
Did you know that you are (for the most part) already doing the same things, at the same time, everyday, every week, every month, anyway? The same repetitive thoughts, same self-dialog, same actions, and your life is the sum total of those habits currently. Are you presently happy with where those thoughts and actions have gotten you? If not, then the key here is to figure out how to take the actions that give you the results you want, instead of performing the habits that are already programmed and, despite being unwanted, are difficult to stop.
The newest research out of University College London published a study in European Journal of Social Psychology, where 96 participants chose one new habit to do over a 12 week period. They analyzed the data and found, on average, it takes about 66 days to form a new habit; after that, it is set.
Here are some action steps you may want to try to help increase your health, productivity, income or whatever it is you really want out of life through habit formation:
- Choose ONE specific goal and write it down and put it somewhere you can see everyday.
- Know your outcome: what do you want to see changed (visualize it) and ask yourself this: are you truly committed to making the change?
- Clear any blockages that may be preventing you from being committed or making the necessary changes. This might be people, places and things, or it might be an inner dialog that you need to squash. (The more intention and attention you give to your goal, the more conscious you make your actions to achieve it.)
- Identify the next right action (NRA) to take that will set the manifestation of your intended outcome in motion.
- Take the next required action immediately. Don’t think about it, don’t put it off till tomorrow. Do it now! The only time we have is now to make a change.
- Watch the results. Adjust accordingly based on your results
Here is an example that is typical of what I see at our training facility:
- Goal: Lose weight
- Intended Outcome: Drop 20 lbs and fit into my jeans.
- Blockages: I believe I need to go to the gym everyday for hours, so instead, I come home sit on the couch and eat junk food.
- Identify NRA: Move more and eat less junk food
- Take NRA: Everyday for the next 67 days go for an hour walk/jog, do 20 push-up and throw out the junk food and replace it with nourishing food. More fruits, veggies and lean meats.
- In 2 weeks assess the progress to see if it is working. If not, bump up the amount of movement and modify eating regimen.
Start taking the action today so that you get the energy, health and happiness you desire, and you will begin to feel and look amazing!
Ian Hart is a Body-Mind Transformation expert, the creator of EarthFIT Training Systems, co-creator of Back Pain Relief4Life, and founder of beaufortpersonaltrainer.com and MyBackPainCoach.com. Ian and his team help people get into optimal shape in the safest, fastest and most effective way possible, using cutting edge science.