Representing 100 artists from 25 states, including South Carolina, the 26th Biennale promises to be a showcase of exemplary artwork. The national call for entries attracted more than 700 artworks from 43 states. Top pieces were selected based on originality of concept, composition and execution.
The exhibition, which is the longest running national juried art exhibition in the area, will feature work across 7 media categories, including: Three-Dimensional, Oil or Acrylic, Photography, Pastel, Mixed Media, Watermedia and All Other.
Over $5,000 in prizes will be awarded to the most outstanding works, selected by this year’s Biennale Judge, Alan Flattmann. Flattmann is an internationally known, award-winning artist accomplished in oil and watercolor and best known for his work in pastel. His book The Art of Pastel Paintingis still widely considered the definitive guide to pastel. He is a Pastel Society of America’s Hall of Fame Honoree and an Eminent Pastelist of the International Association of Pastel Societies. Flattmann’s work has been featured in over 40 art books and magazines including Plein Air, Watercolor, American Artist, and Pastel Journal.
Flattmann will be on hand to present the awards at a reception Friday evening, May 10, which is open to the public. Flattmann will also lead a discussion on his selection process during the Critic’s Coffee event on Saturday morning, May 11.
- Art League of Hilton Head presents the 26th Biennale, National Juried Art Exhibition 2019
- Exhibit: May 7 – June 1, 2019, Monday-Saturday from 10am-4pm, Sunday from 12-4pm and 90 minutes before all Arts Center performances.
- Awards Reception: Friday, May 10th from 5-7pm, free & open to the public.
- Critic’s Coffee: Saturday, May 11th from 10am-12 noon, $10 entry fee.
- 3-Day Workshop: Landscape & Cityscape Painting with Biennale judge Alan Flattmann, May 7-9, 2019 from 9:30am-4:30pm at Art League Academy. For more info: 843.842.5738, email@example.com
- Art League of Hilton Head Gallery located mid-island, inside Arts Center of Coastal Carolina, 14 Shelter Cove Lane, Hilton Head Island, 843.681.5060, www.artleaguehhi.org
Above: “Eloquence” by Timothy Porter & “After Self-Portrait with Straw Hat” by Rhonda Urdang