Top 10 Trips of a Lifetime
(14,000 participated in Virtuoso’s Travel Dreams Survey, 2011)
• Setting Sail for a World Cruise – completing a circumnavigation has been a travel “badge of honor” since the concept was developed in 1992.
• Sailing the Med on a Private Yacht – Cruise the Greek Isles, Italian Riviera or South of France while enjoying complete privacy and avoiding overcrowded ports.
• Calling on All Seven Continents – Become one of the elite group of globe-trotters who boast passport stamps from every landmass.
• Renting a European Villa – Whether a grand chateau in the Loire Valley or a beach cottage in Brittany, there’s an ideal home away from home for you on the Continent.
• Visiting all New Seven Wonders of the World – in case you’re wondering, they include Chichen Itza; Christ the Redeemer; the Colosseum; the Great Wall; Machu Picchu; Petra; the Taj Mahal.
• Photographing the “Big Five” on an African Safari – Perhaps Africa’s most iconic Wildlife destination, Botswana offers endless photo opportunities & exquisite safari lodges. Other spots with the most chance to see them are South Africa, Zimbabwe, Kenya and Tanzania. The “big five” includes lions, leopards, elephants, rhinos and buffaloes!
• Renting a Private Island – Maroon yourself on a private paradise.
• Blasting Off into Suborbital Space – Virgin Galactic’s spaceship, Enterprise, will be sending everyday astronauts into the stratosphere soon – exclusively through Virtuoso.
• Chartering a Private Jet – Seamless security; unmatched flexibility; exclusive perks – need we say more?
• Dining your Way through Paris’ Best Restaurants – Daniel Rose’s much-anticipated Spring restaurant; the nouveau bistro La Regalade Saint-Honore; head to the Right Bank right now!
Top 10 Dream Destinations
(Virtuoso rounded up the hottest new trips out there to whet your travel appetite)
• Australia: All Around Oz – from Ayers Rock to the mesmerizing Great Barrier Reef, Australia is a land of many contrasts.
• Italy: Piedmont by Pedal – Italy’s Piedmont region is perfect for a leisurely bike tour. Indulge in local wines, fine cheeses, rare truffles – that’s what all the pedaling is for!
• South Africa: from Vineyard to Savanna – Go beyond the safari for tastings at some of South Africa’s finest wineries, visit a local arts school, enjoy native storytelling & more.
• New Zealand: South Island Solitude – Kiwi tramping (trekking) goes upscale as you’re whisked to a remote tented camp for alpine hikes, helicopter rides, hot tubbing & haute cuisine.
• Greece: A Tall Ship Odyssey – Embark on your own voyage across the Aegean Sea aboard an authentic, 30-sail tall ship & visit impressive sites along the way.
• Antarctica: Cool Like an Iceberg – Follow Sir Frances Drake’s wake to the White Continent. Zodiac excursions let you watch whales & penguins up close.
• France: Solo Biking in Burgundy – Spin through quaint towns, golden sunflower fields and rolling hills with accommodations & luggage shuttle provided.
• French Polynesia: South Pacific Sailing – Don’t limit yourself to a single, luscious island … sail from Australia to Tahiti and visit beautiful places in between: Fiji, Bora Bora, Tonga, Tahaa.
• China: Misty Detour – Visit the ethereal sandstone pillars of Wulingyuan as part of a monumental journey.
• Ireland: Full Circle Exploration – From the dramatic Dingle Peninsula to the Giant’s Causeway, explore the best of Ireland – including a Guiness or two, of course!